Thursday, 6 August 2009

Moon

Not wanting to spoil the fun for you in case you decide to go and watch this film, I will be brief: Moon is a gripping and thoughtful tale of life on the Moon. It is stylish, well-paced and the acting is good. I haven't seen such a good sci-fi film since 2001: A Space Odyssey. Although the films may be comparable in some aspects, specially with a wink to Kubrik's piece embodied in on-board computer GERTY (voiced by Kevin Spacey), this is an altogether different tale.

In regards to costume design and depictions of the future, it is worth noting the 70s style of clothes and set. Whereas this is charming, unfussy and certainly appeals to a generation that grew up with such an image of what the future might be like in space, it brought me to think that the visionary design era of the cold war is long gone. Au revoir Paco Rabanne and Pierre Cardin! Leaving Hussein Chalayan aside, designers don't imagine the future anymore, they look back instead, their visions owing everything to those that did dream and imagine the future. This somehow post-modern attitude of retro-love finds also expression in other areas of design.

PS: Following this post I will be writing to Cosmo Landerman, who kindly unlocked the key parts in the plot to the readers of the Sunday Times. I am glad that I, at least, had already seen the film. You can read his spoiler review here, but please don't click if you intend to watch the film.

Further Information
*******************
Moon on Rotten Tomatoes
Interview with the director on Time Out

No comments:

Post a Comment